Guys, I am so excited about this dress! I don’t even know where to start this blog post. Let’s just get it out there in the open, this dress is THE BOMB. I love it so much!
You can just see how happy I get when I am wearing it. I feel like a princess and I want to twirl, dance and smile non stop, and I took these photos at 7 am in the morning… So yeah, I am more than happy with it!
I am back with a final sewing tutorial for An Orla Affair. I know, I know… I am behind. It is already August 2, and I was supposed to have it up last week… I apologize for that. July has been crazy busy with wedding plans in full swing, numerous family vacations planned and busy work, yet I really wanted to contribute as much as I could to this cause. I guess better late than never!
I apologize for posting this later than I intended. This month has been insanely busy with work and trips, and for my final trip with my family this past week and weekend I was out of reception zone, which I did not anticipate at all.
I hope everyone is enjoying Orla Dresses popping up everywhere on social media. I certainly am! You guys have been so inspiring with your makes and hacks. I will be blatantly copying some of your ideas in the future.
I am back today to show you my final hack of the Orla Dress. I want to say I saved the best for last, but I can not chose my favourite out of the four hacks I have now done. I love them all. However my last hack is more involved and having extra time to complete it was definitely helpful. As you can see, my last Orla is a proper shirt dress, with button up front, yoke and a shirt collar.
What a month it has been! I loved seeing all the Orlas poping up on my Instagram feed. You guys are so awesome. Thank you to every single one of you for participating in this Orla Affair.
As promised I am back to show you all the drafting alterations to make a shirt dress Orla.
This dress will require a few more involved modifications than other Orla’s , and some actual drafting. But don’t worry, I will walk you through every single step. I have no doubts you will be able to do it! So, let’s jump in.
How many Orlas are too many? I don’t know the answer to that question because my Orlas are multiplying and I still haven’t had enough. Today I am showing you my Shift Orla! Whaaaaat? I know… This Orla seems to have very little in common with the original Orla pattern, but as I’ve said before, I think Orla is a great starting pattern for all kinds of hacks.
I love shift dresses. If I could get away with wearing one every day I totally would. Shift dresses would be my first choice for a “uniform” if I ever had to chose one. They are just so easy to wear yet can be styled into all kinds of looks.
The idea to hack Orla into a shift dress came to me very unexpectedly. I didn’t plan on it, I was on a look out for a good shift dress pattern for a while and when An Orla Affair started, I half-wondered if it would be possible to hack Orla into a shift dress. Orla fit me really well and required minimum fitting. It has a great bodice and the sleeve fits so well. So, after playing around with that thought I decided why not give it a shot?
There are so many ways to finish necklines and armholes. You can really pick and choose the best way that compliments fabric you are working with or the final look of the garment you are going for. I have a tutorial on how to finish neckline with a facing for a clean finish here. You can also do a clean finish with a lining, or you can go with original finish of bias tape. Nothing wrong with any of these methods! I use them all. I chose my neckline finish method based on the fabric I am working with and final look of the garment I am going for, even if it is not what pattern instructions call for.
I love exposed bias binding on a neckline. I think it makes a garment interesting texturally and visually. In this post I will walk you through the steps of how I sewed this exposed bias binding on my latest Orla dress.
The idea is that you pretty much finish the binding on the outside, rather than the inside. It is not very difficult, but can mess with your mind a bit if you’ve only been sewing bias binding on the inside.