I am back with a final sewing tutorial for An Orla Affair. I know, I know… I am behind. It is already August 2, and I was supposed to have it up last week… I apologize for that. July has been crazy busy with wedding plans in full swing, numerous family vacations planned and busy work, yet I really wanted to contribute as much as I could to this cause. I guess better late than never!
I apologize for posting this later than I intended. This month has been insanely busy with work and trips, and for my final trip with my family this past week and weekend I was out of reception zone, which I did not anticipate at all.
I hope everyone is enjoying Orla Dresses popping up everywhere on social media. I certainly am! You guys have been so inspiring with your makes and hacks. I will be blatantly copying some of your ideas in the future.
I am back today to show you my final hack of the Orla Dress. I want to say I saved the best for last, but I can not chose my favourite out of the four hacks I have now done. I love them all. However my last hack is more involved and having extra time to complete it was definitely helpful. As you can see, my last Orla is a proper shirt dress, with button up front, yoke and a shirt collar.
How many Orlas are too many? I don’t know the answer to that question because my Orlas are multiplying and I still haven’t had enough. Today I am showing you my Shift Orla! Whaaaaat? I know… This Orla seems to have very little in common with the original Orla pattern, but as I’ve said before, I think Orla is a great starting pattern for all kinds of hacks.
I love shift dresses. If I could get away with wearing one every day I totally would. Shift dresses would be my first choice for a “uniform” if I ever had to chose one. They are just so easy to wear yet can be styled into all kinds of looks.
The idea to hack Orla into a shift dress came to me very unexpectedly. I didn’t plan on it, I was on a look out for a good shift dress pattern for a while and when An Orla Affair started, I half-wondered if it would be possible to hack Orla into a shift dress. Orla fit me really well and required minimum fitting. It has a great bodice and the sleeve fits so well. So, after playing around with that thought I decided why not give it a shot?
There are so many ways to finish necklines and armholes. You can really pick and choose the best way that compliments fabric you are working with or the final look of the garment you are going for. I have a tutorial on how to finish neckline with a facing for a clean finish here. You can also do a clean finish with a lining, or you can go with original finish of bias tape. Nothing wrong with any of these methods! I use them all. I chose my neckline finish method based on the fabric I am working with and final look of the garment I am going for, even if it is not what pattern instructions call for.
I love exposed bias binding on a neckline. I think it makes a garment interesting texturally and visually. In this post I will walk you through the steps of how I sewed this exposed bias binding on my latest Orla dress.
The idea is that you pretty much finish the binding on the outside, rather than the inside. It is not very difficult, but can mess with your mind a bit if you’ve only been sewing bias binding on the inside.
I love shift dresses! They are so easy to wear yet look so cute. Making Orla into a shift is not difficult, although does require quite a bit pattern hacking and some patience.
Before I start with the tutorial, I wanted to quickly talk about the difference between sheath and shift dresses. I find that both are quite often confused, when they are different style of the dress. Generally speaking, shift dress is slightly looser and has more ease through the waist. Whereas sheath dress is fitted through the waist and hips. If you would like to find out more, I found this little write up helpful.
So now that we are clear on the differences, lets start!
I am back today with a few more posts including this quick tutorial on how to rotate bust darts on your Orla dress, or any other dress or bodice pattern for that matter. I am doing this to get the pattern ready for shift dress hack, but you may just prefer different darts or something… I don’t know, but knowing this definitely comes in handy when pattern hacking.
I will only be rotating bust darts so front bodice is the only pattern piece I will need. The new bust dart is shown in a red line in the image below. The print of the fabric is so busy and it is hard to see the dart otherwise.